Monday, March 15, 2010

Do I need a compact camera? (Warning: Photo Geek Post)


I THINK I need a compact camera.

I thought of this because I realized that I haven’t been productive in terms of my photography this year. At least, so far. This isn’t because I can’t think of or find anything interesting to shoot. This isn’t because I don’t have time to shoot anymore. And certainly, this isn’t because I’m tired of taking photos anymore! So why?

One of the reasons why I got into photography is because I wanted to capture the beauty of the world. I want to share to others how I see the world. I enjoy traveling so much so I make it a point to bring my DSLR with me during out of town trips. No problem here. However, I can’t afford to always travel. It’s very expensive. Aside from that, I pay utility bills now. Yes, you heard that right. I pay the water, telephone, internet, and, just recently, my cell phone bills. So, sometimes, I’m just stuck here in the metro working every single day.

Q: Can I be productive in terms of my photography while working my ass off in the office?
A: Of course I can.

Right? Well, it depends.

You see, DSLRs take stunning photos but at the cost of being too bulky to lug around everywhere. I can’t bring it with me all the time. I'd have to bring two bags: one for my office and gym stuff and one for my camera. You can always put you camera in your office and gym bag. Yes, if I wanted to destroy it. It’s not practical for us commuters in Metro Manila to have several big bags. You know why.

So to answer the question ‘Why?’ above, I guess it’s because I don’t have my camera with me all the time. And lately, I haven’t been to any out of town trips. And I rarely have photo shoots.

Q: So do I need a compact camera?
A: I DON’T KNOW!!!
Q: Will I be more productive if I have a compact camera?
A: I STILL DON'T KNOW!!!
Q: Am I wasting your time with this blog post?
A: Yes.

Since I’m too lazy to work this morning, I browsed the net for affordable yet reliable (at least according to the reviews) compact cameras. Affordable because I don’t want to blame myself too much if I end up not using the camera that much. G11, GF1, and LX3 are not part of what I consider affordable.

Here are some:
  1. Panasonic FX38 – P11,000

  1. Fujifilm Finepix F200EXR – P13,999 (Although, this is bordering the expensive bracket already)

  1. Canon Powershot A2100 IS – P13,800


Of course, I also have to take into consideration the opportunity cost. If I buy a compact camera, I’ll be one step further away from buying a strobe (AB 800) or a lens (24-70 f/2.8) for my DSLR.

Q: What are my other options?
A: a) Go out and shoot when I get home; b) Shoot something inside the house; c) Shoot anything every weekend.

Option A is impossible for me since I’ll be coming home from the gym. Too tired to function by then. Haha!
Option B is possible. Hope the lights arrive soon.
Option C is possible although harder to achieve.

I’ll try to do both B and C first then I’ll decide if I’d still buy a compact camera.

Photos courtesy of:
http://blogs.zdnet.com
http://digital-photography-school.com
http://letsgodigital.org

4 comments:

jo said...

pareho kayo ni rj :) iniisip rin nyang bumili ng compact camera :)

nardz said...

talaga? haha! super hassle kasi talaga magdala ng malaking camera pag commuter lalo na pag maraming bags. haha! i'm leaning towards Panasonic FX38. hehe.

RJ said...

hindi ko kaya iniisip! hehe :p
joke lang.
sana manalo na lang sa mga raffle para walang gastos hahaha

nardz said...

haha! oo nga eh. parang ang hirap i-justify nung price. lampas 10k :|

Post a Comment