Monday, August 10, 2009

Decisions

Today, my boss announced that there will be changes in the office taking effect probably next year. Some people will retire and some people will be pulled out to be assigned in a different business. For us regular employees, this means promotion. Now, I am asking myself this question: Am I ready? Am I ready to take more responsibility in the office? Do I want to assume bigger roles in the company? You're probably thinking that I'm wasting a very good opportunity; more so, considering that I am working for one of the most, if not the most, successful companies in the country. This hesitation roots from the level of my interest in the nature of work I am in. I applied for this position because I wanted to see if I would enjoy doing it since I am quite good at it back in the university. A year has gone and I found myself asking if I can endure one more year of work in this company in the same department. Some say that I should give it more time before deciding to say my goodbyes. Maybe they're right. Maybe one of the reasons why I disliked my work for the past year is because it was giving me a hell of a time. I haven't mastered the job yet so I had to work long hours in the office. Sometimes, I even bring my work home and work on weekends. Maybe next time, I would find it easier because I have already gone through it for an entire year. Then, eventually, I would learn to like my job. But what if they're wrong? What if I were meant for a different job? A job that I like better. A job that I am more interested in. What if it's out there now waiting for me, and I failed to take it because I chose to stay in this office for another year? I guess that's the chance I'd have to take. Opportunity cost comes to mind. Anyway, I'm just wasting my time again. There's something I have to do but I don't feel like doing anything right now. I want to sleep! I want it to be Friday already.

0 comments:

Post a Comment